Sunday 4 September 2011

Beach bag


IKEA has a good choice of fabric. I had never realised IKEA sold fabric until I started sewing and must admit that they have some really original designs at an affordable price. Last time I went to IKEA in Glasgow before moving to La Suisse, I bought a small offcut of their seaside-themed fabric (I forgot what the actual IKEA name of it is) with the idea of making a toiletry bag with it. I bought a similar-sized blue waterproof fabric to line the inside of the bag (they have big rolls of waterproof fabric to make outdoors table clothes with).

Forward one year and I still hadn't made the toiletry bag... in an attempt to reduce my (small) fabric stash, I decided to use the fabric to make a beach bag instead. Easier to make and most likely to be used on a regular basis in our house. I decided to buy 2 meters of white rope to make handles with to stick to the sea  theme (I guess in my mind the rope should have been more like a boat mooring rope but I had to make do with what my local Landi sold).



Anyhow, 30 minutes on the sewing machine and for a total cost of around £8/10CHF, I now have a new beach bag! The inside is waterproof so I can throw my wet towels and swimming suits in it without worries.


This bag won't go on many outings to the beach this year as summer will draw to an end soon but it is ready for summer 2012!


Come and check the wonderful 1st Unique Gifts Blog to see what other peeps have been crafting this week in Handmade Monday :-)


14 comments:

Carolee Crafts said...

Love the fabric and bag, agree forgot about Ikea for fabric, next time in Southampton

Wendy said...

I love it and I think that white rope is perfect! I too love Ikea fabrics - so different x

Emma Tustian said...

Ooh lovely bag. You can never have too many beach bags, and they're so useful given their size. The fabric looks great and the inside's very funky.

ashleeelevin said...

loving the bag!
x
though i hear all the cool kids are making cushions! ha ha...

CarolC1 said...

That is lovely. So bright and summery. I never think to look in Ikea for fabric, I must do it next time I am in there.

Anonymous said...

I love your bag! I really must check out ikeas fabric!

Jan said...

Hi from a new follower, the bag is great, I've never been to an Ikea so wouldn't of known that they sell fabric. I like the idea of the waterproof lining.

Jan :)

Planet Penny said...

Love that fabric, and the bag is fab. We have to travel for 2 and a half hours to get to an IKEA store, and I get very excited about the fabric dept. OH trails around after me saying, 'but what are you going to make with it' and 'the house is officially full' but he doesn't understand! Most things have to mature under the bed for at least 6 months until the perfect project comes along!

Caroline Lovis (Redneedle) said...

Great beach bag and personalised to the way you are going to use it. Looks great!

Anne - Imagination Beads said...

I'd love to live the the beach, alas I have no use for a beach bag here, but it is lovely.

Little Harriet said...

Fab bag! I love how you have used rope to keep the sea theme going. Wish we had an IKEA where I live!
LH
x

Unknown said...

Great bag! What I love about Ikea fabric is the fact that they weigh it rather than measure it which is rather :-/

Ali said...

Beautiful bag - shame the season is already over and you can't show it off! (Perhaps the sun will come back out and you will get the chance anyway...)

I'm you're newest follower too!

Ali x

Jenny said...

Great bag and lining - definitely something on my to do list!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...