Thursday 20 October 2011

Storking

After our visit to the pumpkin farm two weeks ago, we stopped at Lützelsee on the way back to Meilen to go “storking” (stork stalking). We had been told that this small lake was a very good spot for storks and we felt that we could do with a bit of an extra walk after all our pumpkin eating. After a rainy start to the day at the pumpkin farm, the sun was out and shining by mid-afternoon on Lützelsee.




The sky was so blue that we had amazingly clear views of the mountains in the backgrounds which were already covered in snow at the beginning of October…I wonder how long it will be until we get our first white morning?


We searched very hard for storks and kept confusing these guys (herons) for the real thing…

…until we finally spotted them in the distance! Even the large zoom on my camera wasn’t quite good enough for the job so you’ll have to take my word for it.


There is no doubt that this is a very good stork area as the trees were full of nests.


But I guess that most of them do migrate to Africa in the winter and will only come back next spring to nest in Switzerland. We’ll have to be back at the right time!
But nevermind, the walk was extremely pleasant and we crossed what has to be one of the sweetest hamlets I had ever seen. They cannot have more than a dozen houses each but look at the architecture!






I want to move there!!

Do you enjoy going out to look for birds?


3 comments:

zsazsazsu said...

me too !!!!
Maybe this morning with Juanita Tortilla at the beach here we will spot some birds ! She is on the train now and will be here in 45 minutes. Exicted !

Elisa @ Crazy, Amazing Life said...

I am no ornithologist, but I do love seeing beautiful birds and other animals in their natural habitat - and Switzerland is so great for that.

The last time we saw a stork we were at the zoo in Basel :-)

Anonymous said...

I want to move there too!! I love the pictures you take. You always have the greatest pictures of the most beautiful scenes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...